You are in your office looking over your performance report and it happened again. Your low performing employee failed to meet quota this month even after you spoke with them about the importance of meeting goals. This employee has a great attitude and you know they can do better. You just do not know how to motivate them to reach the goal. Money used to work, but that has worn off. You are baffled and you know being frustrated makes matters worse. What do you do?
This workshop focuses on how to better coach your employees to a higher performance. Coaching is a process of relationship building and setting goals. How well you coach relates directly to how well you are able to foster a great working relationship with your employees through understanding them and strategic goal setting.
An easy-to-understand coaching model taught in this workshop will guide you through the coaching process. Prepare yourself to change a few things about yourself in order to coach your employees to better a performance.
- Getting Started
- Workshop Objectives
- Defining Coaching and Mentoring
- What is Coaching?
- What is Mentoring?
- Introducing the G.R.O.W. Model
- Setting Goals
- Goals in the Context of GROW
- Identifying Appropriate Goal Areas
- Setting SMART Goals
- Understanding the Realities
- Getting a Picture of Where You Are
- Identifying Obstacles
- Exploring the Past
- Developing Options
- Identifying Paths
- Choosing Your Final Approach
- Structuring a Plan
- Overcoming Roadblocks
- Common Obstacles
- Re-evaluating Goals
- Focusing on Progress
- Reaching the End
- How to Know When You’ve Achieved Success
- Transitioning the Coachee
- Wrapping it All Up
- How Mentoring Differs from Coaching
- The Basic Differences
- Blending the Two Models
- Adapting the GROW Model for Mentoring
- Focusing on the Relationship
- Wrapping it All Up
- Creating the Final Plan
- Identifying the First Step
- Getting Motivated
- The Importance of Trust
- What is Trust?
- Trust and Coaching
- Building Trust
- Providing Feedback
- The Feedback Sandwich
- Providing Constructive Criticism
- Encouraging Growth and Development
Before you leave this session today, you should be more familiar on the topic of coaching your people to better performance. We have 10 objectives that will allow us to achieve the overall goal of becoming better coaches.
Here are our learning outcomes for this course:
- Define coaching, mentoring and the GROW model.
- Identify and set appropriate goals using the SMART technique of goal setting.
- Identify the steps necessary in defining the current state or reality of your employee’s situation.
- Identify the steps needed in defining options for your employee and turn them into a preliminary plan.
- Identify the steps in developing a finalized plan or wrapping it up and getting your employee motivated to accomplish those plans.
- Identify the benefits of building and fostering trust with your employee.
- Identify the steps in giving effective feedback while maintaining trust.
- Identify and overcoming common obstacles to the growth and development of your employee.
- Identify when the coaching is at an end and transitioning your employee to other growth opportunities.
- Identify the difference between mentoring and coaching, using both to enable long-term development through a positive relationship with your employee.
Supervisors, Managers and Senior Managers