GIS is a computer system capable of assembling, storing, manipulating and displaying geographically referenced information, i.e. data identified according to their locations. This training will present a practical guide for using a geographic information system (GIS) integrated with Monitoring and Evaluation.
The five days training is aimed at helping development partners to monitor and evaluate the activities of specific projects intended to support MandE systems for sustainable programs and projects. The use of GIS in monitoring and Evaluation improves the effectiveness and communications of results to management, funding partners, and beneficiaries.
The integration of GIS in monitoring and Evaluation makes it possible to link, or integrate information that is difficult to associate through any other means. With GIS MandE/Researchers are able to use combinations of mapped variables to build and analyze new variables. Presenting data in the form of a map helps to understand the significance of where, when, and by whom. By using the GIS to link data from multiple programs the training will make it possible to understand the individual programs better but also better understand the relationship between the programs. Spatial analysis techniques will also help with driving outcomes measures.
By the end of this course the participants will be able to:
- Understand Monitoring and Evaluation (MandE) Systems
- Understand key concepts in MandE and GIS
- Learn how to developing an MandE-GIS System
- Learn about the working of MandE information management systems
- Learn how to collect data using mobile phones and GPS
- Learn how to integrate existing MandE data with GIS
- Learn how to analyze and visualize MandE data with the aid of GIS techniques
- Learn how to integrate GIS into MandE activities
Who Should Attend
The course targets government representatives, project teams, NGOs, multi and bilateral development organizations, consultancies, etc, who work as MandE specialists, project managers, researchers and technical specialists.
Module one: An Overview of GIS and Monitoring and Evaluation
- Introducing MandE
- MandE Key components
- Basic Concepts of GIS
- GIS Software; the General Overview
- Open Source GIS Software
Module 2: New technologies being adopted in project MandE
- Mobile phones in MandE
- GPS devices and MandE
- Participatory videos for MandE
- Supporting bottom-up learning
- Using ICT to make real-time MandE
- Examples of MandE systems incorporating GIS
Module three: The GIS Interface
- The QGIS Interface
- Adding Vector Data
- Exploring the Map View
- Exploring Features
- Adding Raster Data
- Saving Your Project
Module four: Geographic Analysis of MandE data
- Creating New Project from Existing One
- Geoprocessing Shapefiles
- Joining and Mapping Attribute Data
- Plotting Coordinate Data
- Running Statistics and Querying Attributes
- Drawing Buffers and Making Selections
- Screen Captures
Module Five: Thematic Mapping of MandE data
- Transforming Map Projections
- More Geoprocessing
- Creating Calculated Fields
- Classifying and Symbolizing Data
- Designing Maps
- Adding Labels
- This course is delivered by our seasoned trainers who have vast experience as expert professionals in the respective fields of practice. The course is taught through a mix of practical activities, theory, group works and case studies.
- Training manuals and additional reference materials are provided to the participants.
- Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be issued with a certificate.