The information revolving around disaster risk is spatial. GIS is crucial in the assessment and management of disaster risk. Therefore, it is important to create awareness among professionals handling disaster risks on to the usage of GIS.
By the end of this course the participants will be able to:
- Understand the terminologies and meanings in relation to geospatial information technology
- Describing the pros and cons of applying geospatial information to reduce risk during disasters
- Application of GIS software (ESRI ArcGIS) to generate geographical information
- Identify, search, access, collect, and assess geospatial information with respect to reducing disaster risks
- Create maps via the use of GIS software
- Implement GIS in assessment of disaster risk and planning of reduction of disaster risk
Who Should Attend
This course targets individual in the Agricultural Extension sector (policy makers, senior officials and officers) collaborating with local communities, in finance corporations, governments, Public Health Officers, non-governmental organizations, and research companies supporting agricultural activities and developmental projects.
- Introduction to GIS for Disaster Risk Management
- Disaster management terminologies
- Remote sensing and GIS
- Spatial data/information
- Post-Disaster Impact and Damage Analysis
- Disaster recovery and relief using satellite imagery
- Preliminary damage assessment and impact analysis
- Development of damage assessment
- Pre-Disaster Risk Assessment
- Assessment of risk
- Risk elements and vulnerability assessment
- Types of risk assessment; cost-benefit analysis and risk evaluation
- Risk Information for Risk Reduction Planning
- Risk evaluation
- Risk information
- Spatial planning and risk information
- This course is delivered by our seasoned trainers who have vast experience as expert professionals in the respective fields of practice. The course is taught through a mix of practical activities, theory, group works and case studies.
- Training manuals and additional reference materials are provided to the participants.
- Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be issued with a certificate.