A standard definition of "Government Business Enterprise" is that it "is an organization that has all of the following characteristics:
It has been delegated the financial and operational authority to carry on a business."
Its principal function is to engage in commercial activities within the private sector, yet it is controlled by government.
It is a separate legal entity with the power to contract in its own name and that can sue and be sued.
We also call them "Parastatals".
Their managers must learn and be guided by principles and standards for responsible business conduct.
- Government Involvement in Business Enterprise
- As a Monopoly
- In Competition
- Hybrid Framework
- statutory corporation
- company incorporated under the Company Law
- independent legal existence from government
- commercial focus
- community service obligations.
- History of "Government Business Enterprises" in Nigeria
- Appropriate Accountability Requirements
- Profit orientation vs full cost recovery
- Accountability to the relevant Ministers
- Assets managed
- Dividends pay-out
- Return on Assets
- High levels of scrutiny
- Law makers oversight functions
- Roles of the Auditor-General
- Criteria of accountability.
- Forward-Looking Board for Government Business Enterprises
- Appointment of Directors
- Governance and oversight
- Codes of ethics
- Stewardship and strategic leadership
- Financially literate Audit Committees
- Eagerness to participate at every meeting – prepared
- Willingness to prepare ahead for meetings
- Ability and propensity to give above average sacrifices
- Supportive, but assertive to express own opinion
Performance Management Framework
- Customer Perspective
- Customers (what customers to target and what should they be experiencing).
- Business Process Perspective
- Processes (how organize and deliver what outputs and standards the public desires).
- Organizational Development Perspective
- Innovation for Growth (new wonderful things to develop for advancement and growth).
- Financial Perspective (the financial prudence - revenue, costs, ROI).
- Critical Performance Standards
- Assessment Frequencies
- Business Acumen
- A culture of entrepreneur thinking
- Keeping in sight significant business basics
- Understanding Business Drivers
- Making informed decisions
- Aligning HR, Finance, Operations, etc.
|5/7 Alade Lawal Street, Off Ikorodu Road, Anthony Village, Lagos.
||Oct 07 - 11 Oct, 2019
Registration: 08:00:am - 09:00:am
Class Session: 09:00:am - 04:00:am
MR ABIODUN TOKI 08033019120
Discount of 5% to 3-4 participants from same organization.
Discount of 10% to 5 or more participants from same organization.