Relocating to another country may seems like a fantastic quest for some people, but to others, it may turn out to be a little daunting experience especially in areas of documentations and regulations. Little wonder immigration issue and expatriate workers are major subjects of global legislation. Hence, both HR and Legal practitioners must understand the trends of expatriate management in Nigeria and Africa at large.
For instance, in recent legislation such as the 2015 immigration Act made Non-renewal of Expatriate Quota (EQ) by a corporate body to attract a fine of about three million Naira (Over USD15,000). It is also an offence for any expatriate employee to change his employment in Nigeria without notice to and approval of the Director of Immigration; aside, it has now become a wrongdoing for an employer to terminate the employment of certain expatriate employee without first giving notice of such termination to the Nigerian Immigration Service. These and many more are major risk organizations must manage properly in their strategies to employing expatriate in Nigeria.
The training will be held in a supportive learning atmosphere to focus on strategic and regulatory issues on expatriate employment as well as management. You will examine the most up-to-date laws which will help participants to improve knowledge and its application in managing their expatriate employees.
This programme will be highly interactive, with a mix of regulations, directives, concepts and practical sessions. Participants will have the opportunity to have practical experience, learn from others through group discussions and be exposed your skills through a series of individual and group exercises.
Understanding Expatriate Issues Within the Nigerian Context And Legislation
Expatriate quotas within the Nigerian legislation
The 16 preliminary/General requirements for obtaining expatriate quota/business and residence permits in Nigeria.
Understanding Concepts such has: Permit, Temporary Work Permit (TWP), Subject to Regularization (STR), Combined Expatriate Residence Permit and Alien Card, Alien Registry, Renunciation and Deprivation of Nigerian Citizenship
- The Legality of some Nigerians being treated as an expatriate in Nigeria.
- Managing Expatriate in employment
- HR and Legal Perspectives in Negotiating and concluding expatriates’ contract.
- The Resident Permit management and its processes
- Understanding Corporate and Individuals liability for breaches.
- STR VISA and processes
- Eliminating Liability of commercial carriers
- Offences and Penalties in managing expatriate within the Nigeria context
- Managing deportation and repatriation.
Taxation, Risk Management and Other Corporate Governance Issues
- Expatriate employment and immigration act 2015.
- Governance, Jurisdiction and Legal frameworks for expatriate Management
- Expatriate Quota/CERPAC regime and documentation processes.
- Expatriate Payroll planning
- Designing Expatriate quota Policy: A practical guide
- Initiating Expatriate handbook, its content with country explicit
- Statutory deductions and expatriate exemptions
- Residency rules and its modification PIT Act Amendment 2011
- Understanding Taxable and benefit management for expatriate
- Expatriate Taxation and the regime of double taxation (DTT)
- Expatriate, Security and Risk engrossment.
At the end of this course, participants would be able to:
- Use relevant laws to standardize expatriate employment for their organization.
- Design sensitive and people friendly policies for expatriate management in the organization.
- Learn how to save cost on expatriate recruitment.
- Integrate measurement for overall Expatriate Talent Management strategy
- Understate how to carry out disengagement with expatriate using risk free strategies.
- Understand why government may clam down and fine defaulting organization for the purpose of revenue generation in 2016.
- Grasp the reasons for establishment of Nigerian Immigration Courts by government and how to use that to your advantage.
- Leverage on required guidelines for expatriate employment fora risk free engagement.
- Proffer solutions to business owners in relations to dos and don’ts of expatriate engagement in Nigeria.
- Develop a workable infrastructure for capacity development for managing alien workforce.
- Bridge the knowledge gaps that exist in managing workforce diversity.
- Get hold on relevant laws and templates for managing immigration related issues
- HR Managers
- Legal Advisers
- CFO/Accountants/ Payroll Managers
- Tax Managers/Advisors
- Corporate affairs Managers.
- Immigration officers/Agents
- Staff of industries employing expatriate on a regular/contract basis