Advances in information technology have opened exciting new avenues for how research is conducted, with huge implications to Monitoring and Evaluation (MandE). One of these advances is the use of Mobile Data Collection (MDC). Instead of collection data on paper using a pen, which is the manually entered into a database for analysis, data is input into a device which is then capable of exporting directly into a centralized database for processing and analysis.
EpiCollect is a suite of tools that allows data collection using Android mobile devices and data submission to an online server. This training will equip the participants with skills to author, field and manage mobile data collection platform using EpiCollect.
At the end of course participants should be able to:
- Create a Project website at EpiCollect.net
- Use EpiCollect form builder to design a Form
- Load the Project into the EpiCollect app on your phone
- Collect multiple sets of geotagged data
- Synchronise data from your phone with your project website
- View data using Google Maps and Google Earth at your Project Website
DURATION: 5 Days
Who Should Attend?
This course is aimed at organizational staffs who are conducting field data collection activities.
Introduction to Mobile based Data Collection
- Overview of MDC
- Benefits and challenges of MDC
- Different MDC platforms and technologies
- GPS concepts
- Data types
Introduction to EpiCollect
- Components of EpiCollect 5
- EpiCollect vs other MDC technologies
- EpiCollect Case studies
EpiCollect web application
- Creating a project
- Adding and editing entries
- Managing users
- Mapping data
- Downloading data
- Import and Export projects
EpiCollect Form Builder
- Introduction to form builder
- Input types
- Form design
- Linking forms
- Form logics
- Import and export forms
- Import and export possible answers
EpiCollect mobile app
- Installation of EpiCollect app on android and iPhone
- Adding a project
- Adding an entry
- Editing entries
- Saving and uploading entries
- Downloading entries
- Sharing images
Integration with other data platforms
- Exporting EpiCollect data for further analysis in Spreadsheet
- Importing into QGIS
- Mapping project Photos
- Preparing GIS project maps
From EpiCollect to visualization using GIS
- Spatial Data Infrastructure (SDI)
- Labelling using multiple fields
- View, Edit attribute data
- Performing table joins
- QGIS Plugins
- Recoding data
- Performing basic statistical analysis using QGIS
- Incorporating Pie Charts and Graphs in GIS maps
- Preparing MandE Maps
Publishing into other online Platforms
- Publishing into google maps and fusion tables
- Publishing into other online platforms using qgis2web plugin
- This course is delivered by our seasoned trainers who have vast experience as expert professionals in the respective fields of practice. The course is taught through a mix of practical activities, theory, group works and case studies.
- Training manuals and additional reference materials are provided to the participants.
- Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be issued with a certificate.
- We can also do this as tailor-made course to meet organization-wide needs.
- The training fee covers tuition fees, training materials, lunch and training venue. Accommodation and airport transfer are arranged for our participants upon request.