Gender equality is now universally recognized as a core development objective, fundamental for the realization of human rights, and key to effective and sustainable development outcomes. It is important to incorporate gender in each phase of the project cycle to ensure sustainability of the intervention, support equitable growth, increased production, and impact. This course aims to build the skills and knowledge of participants in mainstreaming gender in project cycle management.
This course is aimed at project staff in charge of formulating and implementing projects to help ensure that gender issues are systematically integrated at each stage of the project cycle.
This course is aimed at staff in development organizations, government institutions and the private sector involved in project management.
By the end of this course the participants will be able to:
- Under key gender concepts
- Conduct a gender analysis
- Successfully mainstream gender in the project lifecycle
- Assess integration of gender in a project
- Develop a gender policy
Introduction to Project Management
- Introduction to projects
- Key concepts in project management
- Project cycle management
- Cross cutting issues in project management
Key Gender Concepts and Definitions
- What is gender?
- Sex and gender
- Gender norms
- Gender equity, gender equality and gender gaps
- Gender-based violence
- Common concepts of addressing gender inequalities
Introduction to Gender Mainstreaming
- What is gender mainstreaming?
- The need for gender mainstreaming in projects
- Guiding principles in gender mainstreaming
- The process of GM in project lifecycle
- Key concepts in gender analysis
- Role of gender analysis mainstreaming gender
- Domains in gender analysis
- Gender analysis frameworks and their application
Gender Mainstreaming in Project Identification
- Gender considerations in project identification
- Assessing needs and opportunities for both men and women
- Identification of key gender issues related to projects
- Gender responsive stakeholders’ engagement
Gender Mainstreaming in Project Design and Planning
- Gender mainstreaming of project results
- Design of gender responsive activities
- Gender mainstreaming of project indicators
- Engendering the logical framework
- Gendered budget
- Application of the gender marker
Gender Mainstreaming in Project Implementation
- Engendering implementation of project activities
- Gender considerations in project implementation team
- Gender considerations in project coordination
Gender Mainstreaming in Monitoring and Evaluation
- Engendering the M&E system
- Development of gender responsive data collection methods and tools
- Gender responsive data analysis and reporting
- Gender sensitive project evaluation
- Key concepts in gender policy
- Gender policy development process
- Key elements and outline of a gender policy
This course is delivered by our seasoned trainers who have vast experience as expert professionals in the respective fields of practice. The course is taught through a mix of practical activities, theory, group works and case studies.
Training manuals and additional reference materials are provided to the participants.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be issued with a certificate.
We can also do this as a tailor-made course to meet organization-wide needs.