Poor governance and weak state institutions constrain development. Interest in funding governance reform processes has increased in recent years as donors recognize the importance of strengthening country governance systems to achieve common development goals.
This course aims to build the capacity of M&E professionals working with governance programs. The acquired M&E skills will assist the participants to apply the best M&E approaches in developing and implementing governance programs successfully.
This course is aimed at government, CSO, NGO, donor, and development partners staff in charge of monitoring and evaluation in governance programs.
Online 7 Days
Classroom-based 5 Days
What you will learn
By the end of this course the learners should be able to:
- Understand monitoring and evaluation (M&E) in governance.
- Design a governance project using M&E frameworks.
- Develop governance indicators.
- Track performance indicators over the life of the project
- Conduct data management in governance programs
- Evaluate a governance programs.
- Develop and implement an M&E system.
- Develop a comprehensive monitoring and evaluation plan.
Introduction to M&E
- Overview of Monitoring and Evaluation
- Key principles and concepts in M&E
- M&E in project lifecycle
- Complementary roles of Monitoring and Evaluation
- Steps to develop a results-based M&E System
- Problem Tree Analysis
- Setting Project Objectives
- Causal Pathway
Theory of Change
- Overview of theory of change
- Developing theory of change
- Theory of Change vs Log Frame
- Case study: Theory of change
- Conceptual Frameworks
- Results Frameworks
- Logic Model
- Logical Framework
- Indicators selection
- Indicator metrics
- Linking indicators to results
- Indicator matrix
- Tracking of indicators
Developing an M&E System for Governance Programs
- Introduction to M&E System
- Scope of an M&E System
- Elements of an M&E System
- M&E Plan and the M&E System
- Implementing the M&E System
Evaluation of Governance Programs
- Introduction to Project Evaluation
- Evaluation Process
- Evaluation Criteria
- Developing Evaluation Questions
- Evaluation findings sharing and dissemination.
Impact Evaluation of Governance Programs
- Introduction to Impact Evaluation
- Impact Evaluation Designs
- Implementation of Impact Evaluations in Governance programs
M&E Data Management in Governance Programs
- Tools and Methodologies for collecting data.
- Participatory methods of data collection
- Data Analysis
- M&E Report Writing
Learning in M&E
- Data demand and use in Governance Programs
- Document of M&E Lessons learnt and Best Practices
- Information Sharing
This course is delivered by our seasoned trainers who have vast experience as expert professionals in the respective fields of practice. The course is taught through a mix of practical activities, theory, group works and case studies.
Training manuals and additional reference materials are provided to the participants.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be issued with a certificate.
We can also do this as a tailor-made course to meet organization-wide training needs. A training needs assessment will be done on the training participants to collect data on the existing skills, knowledge gaps, training expectations and tailor-made needs.