Accounts payable is not just processing checks, mailing them, and then filing the backup paperwork. To manage accounts payable truly and effectively, one must understand the AP department's building blocks including, but not limited to customer service, vendor management, check requests and Purchase Orders (POs).
This course will discuss how to handle invoices, process checks, prevent errors, conduct annual audits, and use technology in the department. You will also learn the best practices to adopt in your AP department and how to develop your department into an effective business partner.
This course demonstrates theoretical and practical core topics in addition to introducing Excel in managing accounts payable. The course also features role playing and presentations by participants.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Identify the function of Accounts Payable (AP) and its role in organizations
- Use accounting principles related to accounts payable
- Describe how to take a successful lead in the management of accounts payable
- Assess AP operations and processes and recommend improvements using the latest best practices
- Evaluate main issues affecting AP staff in order to increase their efficiency and productivity
- Apply tools and techniques in Microsoft Excel to effectively manage and monitor AP performance
Managers of accounts payable, AP staff and professionals as well as clerks and specialists who wish to advance their career. The course is also beneficial to professionals in accounting, finance, purchasing and procurement who work closely with Accounts Payable.
- Examine the role of accounts payable
- Perform month-end accruals
- Realize the value added of three-way matching
- Prepare and analyze accounts payable aging
- Prevent accounts payable fraud
- Apply accounts payable best practices
- Implement early payment discount
- Utilize Excel functions