The ability of development partners to implement their project interventions is dependent on their access to donor funding. Access to these funds requires submission of proposals for consideration by the potential donors. Project results should be effectively communicated and shared through good reports.
For sustainable and effective implementation of project interventions, it is essential that organizations have the capacity to design, write and deliver high quality project proposals and reports. This course aims to equip participants with skills in writing and presenting effective and successful proposals.
This course is aimed at managers, program/project coordinators and other project staff whose roles involve developing proposals for fundraising and report writing for their organization.
What you will learn
By the end of this course the participants will be able to:
- Understand different ways of resource mobilization.
- Understand the principles of project development and proposal writing.
- Organize the different components of a proposal in a logical flow.
- Write an effective proposal according to donor’s requirements and guidelines.
- Use of M&E frameworks in project design when developing a proposal
- Write good quality reports tailored to a target audience.
Online 7 Days
Classroom-based 5 Days
Introduction to Resource Mobilization
- Resource mobilization principles and practices
- Resource mobilization approaches
- Resource mobilization cycle
- Searching for funding opportunities
- Current funding environment for non-profit organizations
- Strategic planning and resource mobilization
Resource Mobilization Strategy
- Conducting a resource mobilization situation analysis
- Determining resource requirements and funding gaps
- Identifying sources of resources-donor and partner assessment and mapping
- Determining resource mobilization strategies
- Developing a resource mobilization action plan
- Enhancing donor partnerships and managing donor relations
- Putting together a resource mobilization strategy
Introduction to Proposal Writing
- Proposal writing in resource mobilization.
- Understanding donors’ requirements
- Donor proposal formats and guidelines
- Project development and proposal writing
- Concept note, proposal, and pitch deck
- Components of a funding proposal
Writing a Proposal: Introduction/background
- Context of the project
- Situation analysis
- Target beneficiaries
Writing a Proposal: Problem statement
- Description of the specific problem
- Target group affected by the problem.
- Needs of the target group
- Consequences of the problem on the target group
- Use of cause-and-effect approach
Writing a Proposal: Project Justification/Rationale
- Descriptions of how the proposed project will solve the problem stated.
- Explanation of why the project is required.
- Explanation of how the project relates with other interventions.
- Alignment of the project with the countries and donor’s priority areas
Writing a Proposal: Project Design
- Project theory of change
- Design of project results using causal pathway
- Project Activities; outputs and activities matrix
- Design of the logical framework
- Performance measurement framework
Writing a Proposal: Implementation Strategies
- Sub-tasks in activities
- Activities implementation approaches
- The 4 Ws in activity implementation
Writing a Proposal: Project Monitoring and Evaluation
- Monitoring plan
- Evaluation plan
Writing a Proposal: Risk Management
- Risk Matrix
- Risk Response plan
Writing a Proposal: Project Management
- Project organogram
- Project Coordination
- Partners responsibilities
Writing a Proposal: Cross Cutting Issues in Proposal Writing
- Gender Mainstreaming
- Environmental Sustainability
- Human Rights
Writing a Proposal: Work Plan
- Activity durations
- Predecessor successor relationships
- Developing a Gantt chart
Writing a Proposal: Organization Capacity
- Organization profile
- Organization Capacity
- Relevant experience
Writing a Proposal: Budget Development
- Detailed budget
- Cost Sharing
- Summary budget
Submitting the Proposal
- Funding agency forms
- Packaging, politicking, and refunding.
- Submission, traditional and online
- Tips for final checks
- Proposal review criteria
- Proposal review process
- Grant agreement
Proposal and Report writing best practices.
- Common mistakes during proposal writing
- Tips for successful proposal writing
- Case studies of successful proposals
This course is delivered by our seasoned trainers who have vast experience as expert professionals in the respective fields of practice. The course is taught through a mix of practical activities, theory, group works and case studies.
Training manuals and additional reference materials are provided to the participants.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be issued with a certificate.
We can also do this as a tailor-made course to meet organization-wide needs.