In today’s business and diplomatic world, protocol has become a sophisticated and strategic asset. The protocol guides how we behave socially, conduct business, and interact in specific situations. This positively impacts how people live and work together, with less friction caused at a time by barriers in the social-cultural environment in which we operate. Traditionally protocol tended to have a narrow definition and therefore was classified as of operational rather than strategic significance. Protocol is more than escorting visitors and others of precedence. In the government and corporate world, it enables people of diverse backgrounds and social orientations to carry business in a friendly atmosphere and manage today’s complex and cosmopolitan world with ease and finesse. A well-executed event creates a lasting and positive impression on your audience and motivates them to relate with your organization in their future business.
This course will provide the participants with the required skills and confidence to effectively manage corporate events with a blend of appropriate protocol procedures to enhance their organization’s corporate image.
This course is highly recommended for protocol officers, public relations personnel, event planners, managers and coordinators, administrative personnel responsible for the coordination of events and staff involved in protocol and handling of VIPs and diplomats.
Online 7 Days
Classroom Based 5 Days
What you will learn
By the end of this course the participants will be able to:
- Increase and strengthen protocol and etiquette skills in handling dignitaries and VIPs.
- Equip participants with skills to navigate today’s culturally diverse business environment.
- Develop participant skills in orchestrating VIPs visits, meetings, ceremonies, and special events.
- Identify the various tasks in management of events and the human and physical resources required to stage successful events.
- Equip participants with skills to organize events without the help of event coordinators thus saving the organization some money.
- Review and determine the different marketing strategies appropriate for the event being managed.
- Promote acceptable manners and respect for others.
Principles of Business Etiquette and Protocol
- Definitions and concepts
- Guiding principles
- Importance of etiquette in business
- Importance of protocol in business
- The importance of manners
- Creating the right corporate image
- Six basic principles
Protocol in Practice
- How to address various office bearers in speech
- Reception of VIPs
- Proper order of precedence
- How to introduce people
- Dressing for the occasion
- Phone etiquette
- Meeting etiquette
- Email etiquette
- Titles and forms of address
- Exchanging gifts
- Meeting and Greeting
- Names and Titles
- Body Language
- Corporate Culture
- Dining and Entertainment
- Presentation and Receive of Gifts
- Sitting Plan
- The Main Table
- Placing the Host and the Guest of Honour
- Table Plans for Different Occasions
- Social luncheon or dinner
- Place Cards
Variations in Protocol and Etiquette
- Administrative protocol
- Flags, anthems, and logos
- Handling awkward situations
- Event Scheduling
- Event Running Order
- Budget – staff, time, materials money
- Choosing the Best Venue for your purpose
- Layout for Different Events
Stage Management, Dining and Entertainment, Health, and Safety
- “Stage Management” of the Event
- Ensuring the Event is On-Message and On-Brand
- Welcome Desk – Set Up and Management
- Sets, Staging and Corporate Identity
- Catering, Entertainment and Music at your Event
- Staying Safe – Risk Assessment and Events
Planning and Hosting VIP Occasions
- Preparation for official visits
- Protocol at events and summits
- Key qualities of the ideal host
- Seating strategies
- Risk and contingency planning
- Mistakes to avoid.
Human Resources Planning for the Event
- Recruiting volunteers
- OH and S
- First aid
- OH and S walk-through
- Team briefing (prior to event)
- Showing appreciation
This Protocol & Event Management training will be delivered through a combination of presentations, group discussions and group exercises. Delegates will be encouraged to ask questions as the training course progresses relevant to their own backgrounds and company requirements. Training manuals and additional reference materials are provided to the participants.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be issued a certificate.
We can also do this as a tailor-made course to meet organization-wide training needs. A training needs assessment will be done on the training participants to collect data on the existing skills, knowledge gaps, training expectations and tailor-made needs.